Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mama said knock you out.

We are ending a series at church called "Live Like You Were Dying." From what I've heard, it has changed a lot of people at our church. People are realizing that we only have one shot to make the most out of our lives.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the series, but Craig has decided to take up boxing. Ok, I know it has nothing to do with the series (in his mind...he just wants to get paid to show people how manly he is?) but a friend made a good point as I was complaining about this new hobby of his...live like you were dying.  If boxing is something he feels he needs to do, then I guess he should do it. I can't say I'm pleased. In fact, it scares me just a tad. Today he had his first "training session." He knows a former boxer who injured his hand and is now a personal trainer and owns a gym.

Apparently I've been invited to come "train." Not to be a boxer, but to get in shape like one. At first I laughed. But then I thought about it. Even though I'm glad Craig is pretty much healthy, I've always been kind of bummed that I've never had a workout partner. He's never needed to lose weight or get in shape. In fact, he eats for 3 sometimes and still stays thin. It kind of makes me sick. But I digress.

Now he's getting older and wants to lose his now size 34 waist (eyeroll), get some muscles back, and....fight people. I've also always wanted a personal trainer, but could never afford it. Well, here's my opportunity I suppose. I can have a trainer, and a workout partner, and I guess there's an area for kids to watch DVDs while parents workout. It's a class-format, so the doors are locked during the session. It's also just a few minutes away from our church, where we spend a lot of our time, and some of the class times are very near to the times we need to be there anyway.

So really, do I have any valid excuses not to do this? No.

Live like I'm dying. It really really makes sense in this situation. I'll die sooner than I'd like if I don't get healthy.  So watch out, Christy Martin (she was a championship boxer....fo' real). There's a new Christie Martin taking over the femal boxing world! ;-)

Here are some weird facts. Christy Martin is married to Jim Martin, which is also the name of my father-in-law, and I was born on her birthday, June 12th.  I was meant to be a boxer!

No comments: